Elephants never forget

来源: 移花接木 2021-09-27 06:54:40 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5501 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 移花接木 ] 在 2021-09-27 07:35:39 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
"An elephant never forgets" is an English proverb. 

今早在WXC首页看到了一个挺煽情的小文, 他冒死救了7头大象,却有21头赶来给他送葬

想起曾经看过关于同一个主人公的一篇网文

by Vegan Vet Arielle | May 30, 2019

Today’s Small Memories

My dear strong but very elderly and proud French Mum died today 2 years ago – as she wanted it – in her bed at home – the bed she had had all her life, with her 3 daughters and loving husband with her. It was both beautiful and emotional to witness and every year around this time I wonder why a small grey cloud hangs over me.

The little cloud is a reminder of the time spent caring for my elderly Mum before she died as she cared for me in her life and I know that from today, I can look forward and be happier.

The yearly cycle of grief seems to be one that is not unique to us, but to elephants too. My Dad told me about a recent talk he had been to given by the wife of deceased conservationist Lawrence Antony where a herd of elephants had been rehomed by Lawrence Antony and they returned from the bush to his home exactly a year after his death to mourn quietly as a herd together and remember him.

I found this clip about this remarkable man who had a passion to help these incredible animals –
Lawrence Anthony was born on September 17 1950 in Johannesburg, where his grandfather, a miner from Berwick-upon-Tweed, had emigrated in the 1920s to work in the gold mines. His father founded an insurance business and, as he established new offices around southern Africa, Lawrence was brought up in a series of small towns in rural Rhodesia, Zambia, Malawi and finally Zululand, South Africa.

Anthony followed his father into the insurance business and later worked in property development. But his heart was always in the African bush he had loved as a child. He became involved in working with Zulu tribespeople to try to rebuild their historical relationship with the bush, and in the mid-1990s he decided to turn his hobby into a career, buying the 5,000-acre Thula Thula game reserve in KwaZulu-Natal.

The elephant whisperer

Subsequently he founded the Earth Organisation, a conservation group that encourages pragmatic local action, and was instrumental in the creation of two new reserves, the Royal Zulu Biosphere in Zululand and the Mayibuye Game Reserve in Kwa Ximba, which provide local people with jobs and income through tourism, while helping to secure the future of the region’s wildlife from creeping development.

Elephants had never been part of Anthony’s plan for Thula Thula, but in 1999 he was telephoned by a conservation organisation which asked whether he would be willing to take on a herd of nine animals which had escaped from every enclosure they had ever been in, wreaking havoc across KwaZulu-Natal, and were considered highly dangerous. Realising that the elephants would be shot if he declined, Anthony agreed to give them a home.

“They were a difficult bunch, no question about it,” he recalled. “Delinquents every one. But I could see a lot of good in them too. They’d had a tough time and were all scared, and yet they were looking after one another, trying to protect one another.”

Anthony decided to treat the elephants as errant children, working to persuade them, through words and gestures, that they should not behave badly and that they could trust him. He concentrated his attention on Nana, the matriarch of the herd: “I’d go down to the fence and I’d plead with Nana not to break it down,” he said. “I knew she didn’t understand English, but I hoped she’d understand by the tone of my voice and my body language what I was saying. And one morning, instead of trying to break the fence down, she just stood there. Then she put her trunk through the fence towards me. I knew she wanted to touch me. That was a turning point.” Soon they were allowed out into the reserve.

Anthony and his wife, Françoise, became so close to the elephants that on some occasions they almost had to chase them out of their living room. Days after Nana gave birth to a son, she emerged from the bush to show off the newborn to her human friend. A few years later, after Anthony’s first grandchild was born, he returned the compliment, though he recalled that it was some time before his daughter-in-law would speak to him again.

He told the story of the elephants in The Elephant Whisperer (2009, also co-written with Graham Spence).

所有跟帖: 

A very tender story...yep, an elephant never forgets... -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (212 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 08:00:09

回头看,我一个印度同事讲过一个从小被某人伤害的大象长大后专门找那个人复仇的事,大象的智力能记住某个人,不滥杀无辜 -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 09:18:34

这点我不如大象,我看大象长得都一样 -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 09:19:05

大象需要记忆的东西少,人类需要记忆的事情太多了。。 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 10:29:59

据说大象有7岁孩子的智力。我在版纳玩,看到他们被铁链绑着给人玩,训练尤其残酷。记忆挥之不去, -攸墨尔- 给 攸墨尔 发送悄悄话 攸墨尔 的博客首页 (200 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 09:31:05

矛盾体, 不商业化人们也无法去参观. 很明显大象有清晰的好人坏人的意识, -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 10:04:56

好感人,动物的感情真是纯粹不掺任何杂质的。“An elephant never forgets”,花董‘s memory is -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 09:20:25

花董‘s memory is as good as an elephant‘s.:) -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 09:23:49

有时候觉得象鱼一样, 7 seconds' memory -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 10:02:09

haha, e.g? 我就有selective amnesia,不开心的事很快就忘:) -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 10:09:50

不开心的事很快就忘。这个很重要 :) -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 10:23:14

哈哈,我上班一天差不多需要和50人打交道,若不忘掉不开心的,很容易让自己不开心:) -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 12:19:35

我小时候就这么被老师骂过, 说我记吃不记打 -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 13:24:22

你老师喜欢你还差不多:) -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 14:40:30

有一部人狗情深的美国电影也感人肺腑 -唐古- 给 唐古 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 14:40:30

Hachi a dog's tale;理查基尔。原型是日本忠犬八公,一头秋田犬, -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 15:20:50

恭喜花董。首页进来,谢谢网管,Elephants never forget 推荐成功 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/27/2021 postreply 18:51:48

加跟帖:

• 标题:
  • 内容(可选项): [所见即所得|预览模式] [HTML源代码] [如何上传图片] [怎样发视频] [如何贴音乐]