Under the Milky Way 17: From Fromista to Calzadilla de la Cueza

来源: 1000_li_xing 2024-04-05 19:52:43 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (30840 bytes)

June 14, Day 17, Wednesday. The snoring didn’t bother me as much last night. I had so much food and drinks. I was so tired. 
Today’s route would be from Fromista to Calzadilla de la Cueza, adding an additional 17 km on the traditional stage, one village away “down the road”. The Camino distance today would be 36 km. This would be the furthest distance I would walk within a day on the Camino, and I was advised to bring enough water snacks. I’d better prepare well for it.  

The distance planned for today was a bit challenging, but at least the slopes were minimum.  

6:50am, on the road. Wonder if I would be lucky enough to see the sunrise. It was such a surreal and refreshing morning!

8 kilometers later, I felt hungry. Time for breakfast – Tortilla de Potatas.

Let’s take a good look at this young lady's yellow backpack – that was all she had packed. How did she do it? I sent away my heavy backpack ahead of time today to walk further. Now I was carrying a “tiny” bag, I learned something new today.

It always puzzled me and frustrated me when I had to choose which route to take, when I knew neither of them. A route with more shade, I suppose.

Arriving at Carrion, this is a typical stop at the end of this stage according to the guidebook and some websites.A neat and pretty city, Carrion, built in 1231, 63.4 square kilometers. The population in 2021 was about 2002. Quite a few buildings here bear the medieval architectural styles. Now I understand why, many years ago, some of my college’s Art History friends came here to study and experience the authentic art. 

I was a star-chaser, a fan, for a minute – toast! :-)
Villalcazar, "Descanso del Peregrino" (Pilgrim's Rest)
The church in the background – The Church of Santa Maria la Blanca.

Follow my predecessors …

I’d like to borrow a quote from someone shared online, “Something opens up our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us.“        -- Rumi”
San Zoilo Real Monasterio, the ancient architecture from 11th-century, once upon a time was a national monument, currently a luxury hotel. 
https://mycaminosresolve.com/2018/07/16/stage-17-carrion-de-los-condes-to-calzadilla-de-la-cueza/

Walking alone on the 17-mile resurfaced Roman Road, with no water refills, no rest stops, no villages, no accommodations, nothing, service-wise.
An ancient, long straight path, I might as well walk it, eyes closed, meditating, I thought… But with the blue sky, white clouds, the fragrance of the ripened rice by the roadsides, and all the amazing sceneries surrounding me, how could I bear to close my eyes in this little world of mine?

“Buckets” of sweats later, I was close to my destination. Finishing line was in sight! Yay! When I tried book a bed for this evening the other day, no more dorm rooms were available. I should have acted sooner, at least at couple of days earlier. A single room with my own bath tonight, instead! 48 euros for the luxury. Can’t wait to get a good night's sleep and recuperate! 

The host/boss of today’s albergue walked Camino routes several times, and knew the Camino details very well. At my request, he helped me plan the route for next day. Remaining distance: 388 km.

Calzadilla De la Cueza, 0.2 square kilometers, population in 2020: 51.

The cats welcomed me. Such cute furry creatures. For a second, I forgot hunger. 

I heard that the Aesop’s fable The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs set the background in this village.
https://santiagoways.com/en/stage-carrion-de-los-condes-calzadilla-de-la-cueza/
(Information from Google)

It was an incredibly tough day, 52,688 steps, 24.44miles, 39.3 km. A big rich dinner with a friend, to console my depleted body. 

Keyword:
Perseverance

更多我的博客文章>>>
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标